Straighten Your Smile with NK Family Dentistry!
Straight teeth are not only healthier teeth; they are also more attractive teeth, and more functional, to boot. You may realize this, and may want to see a straighter smile in the not-so-distant future. Still, the idea of braces could be standing in your way. One of the biggest obstacles to wearing braces is the fact that the permanent fixtures on teeth present an obstacle for eating. Patients who wear braces often end up feeling deprived of some of their favorite foods.
The reason that certain foods need to be avoided during conventional orthodontic treatment is because they may damage the wire, or even cause brackets to pop off. Another reason is personal choice, actually. Sometimes, a patient will give up favored foods simply because it is far too difficult to clean debris from teeth due to the wire. Some common foods that are given up during orthodontic treatment include:
- Seeds and nuts
- Meat on the bone (ribs, chicken wings . . .)
- Stringy foods, like celery
- Hard, crunchy fruits and vegetables, like carrots and apples
- Sticky, chewy foods, like raisins or caramel
The list of foods that are forbidden for patients wearing braces could feel extensive. This is not the case with the ClearCorrect system used in our Waltham dental office. This method of straightening teeth is convenient, comfortable, and efficient - and it has no brackets or wires. More than that, ClearCorrect works with a series of aligners. These custom-fit trays can be removed for meals, so there really are no restrictions to what can be eaten.
Maintaining Healthy Teeth
One important note about eating during ClearCorrect treatment is that teeth need to be nourished. They also need to be cleaned efficiently in order to avoid the risk of tooth decay, staining, or gum inflammation (gingivitis). Some tips for keeping your teeth healthy during orthodontic treatment include:
- Consume tooth-building foods like cheese, yogurt, and calcium-rich vegetables.
- Curb that soda habit! And while you're at it, you may also want to start limiting beverages like tea and coffee. These can stain enamel, as well as the aligner trays.
- Dilute sugar and other residue after meals and snacks by rinsing the mouth with water. Rinse aligners , too!
We're here to help you get and keep your best smile. Call (781) 216-8097.